Some of the most frequently asked questions
1. What we offer?
Each session consists of a lesson, practice game, and individual coaching. From time to time, students also work on puzzles and exercises to sharpen their mental acuity and reinforce the lesson. The time is roughly split evenly between formal instruction and practicing what you learned. Most sessions are 1 hour long but advanced and team sessions are longer.
2. When are the classes?
We are open to organizing a class anytime of the day, morning, lunchtime, afternoon or early evening. Usually, we try to coordinate chess right after school ends. It can be once a week or multiple times a week.
3. Where are classes held?
Classes are held on campus, or after school sites.
4. What to bring?
Nothing - we provide all equipment: chess sets, boards, workbooks, and all related items.
5. What will my child learn?
We teach chess as an enrichment class where students can learn about chess as well as successful living. Examining the board before moving is akin to evaluating your alternatives before making a decision. Preparing for a response to your move is akin to preparing for different possibilities in life. We also teach the value of losing and learning from your mistakes and we emphasize good sportsmanship and respect towards others.
6. How do you reward?
We use a quantitative point system to reward learning and behavior. Students achieve different levels based on the points they earn and collect rewards, trophies, and medals. Details on Point system can be found HERE.
7. Is financial aid available?
Bay Area Chess offers financial aid to deserving families because we want to make our program available to everyone. In order to qualify for financial aid and to offer financial aid on a uniform and unbiased basis, we ask parents to submit their proof for their child to participate in the free or reduced lunch program or provide an explanation of their situation of need.
8. Your Question here?
Can't find what you were looking for? Email us to email@example.com and we'll post your question here.
What Makes BayAreaChess Special?
1. Safety: BayAreaChess conducts background checks on all instructors and its founding members have known the key instructors for a long time.
2. Program Quality: BayAreaChess a quality program designed by college professors and school teachers. The program has demonstrated success at several schools.
3. Excellent Instructors: BayAreaChess employs only the best instructors, many of our coaches are full time professional instructors.
4. Local Events: BayAreaChess is the most prolific organizer of US Chess Federation events in California, we are organizers of many USCF State and National Championships.
5. Flexibility: BayAreaChess offers options for different skill levels and commitment, making chess instruction available for ALL levels.
6. Rewards & Recognition: BayAreaChess builds self-esteem through the reward structure integrated in the program. Points are not just awarded for success in games, but also for participation, helpfulness in class and making a good effort.
Late Pick-up Policy:
In the past we had a few parents who picked up their child late at the end of the class. Per our policy, we can not just leave the children at the school sites by themselves. Coaches need to supervise them at all times. The late pick up has really caused an inconvenience to the teachers last year. The following late pick up policy is enforced at all schools with no exceptions: Picking up child after chess club:
0-10 mins: no extra charge
10-20 mins: $10 extra charge
20-30 mins: $20 extra charge
30-60 mins: $45 extra charge
Please, make your and our life easier by being on time.
Afterschool Refund Policy:
100% after first class 50% after second class 0% after third class No refund for missed classes.
No refund for early leave.